Korean J Obstet Gynecol Search

CLOSE


Korean Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 2004;47(11):2224-2228.
Published online November 1, 2004.
A Case of Congenital Cytomegalovirus Infection with Severe Hydrocephalus in Prenatal Ultrasonography.
Geum Joon Cho, Min Jeong Oh, Jae Won Chung, Oen Suk Chung, Jae Kwan Lee, Jun Young Hur, Ho Suk Saw, Yong Kyun Park, Ji Hye Lee
1Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
2Department of Pathology, College of Medicine, Korea University, Seoul, Korea.
Abstract
Cytomegalovirus (CMV) infection is one of the most common viral infections in human and it is known to cause primary and recurrent infections. CMV is spread to the fetus in 40% of pregnancies in primary infection, while 0.5-1% of pregnancies in recurrent infection are known to cause congenital infections. Only 10% of such infections are presented with severe symptoms, with the other 90% being asymptomatic. However, there are no definite methods to predict the manifestation of fetal infections or specific treatments in such cases. Intraventricular calcification, ventriculomegaly, intraventricular adhesion, abnormal patterns of brain fissures, brain atrophy, abnormal findings of cerebellum and cisterna magna, and hyperechoic bowels can be presented by ultrasonography in CMV infection. We introduce a case of CMV infection presented as ventriculomegaly and hyperechoic bowels by ultrasonography and pathologically confirmed by autopsy.
Key Words: CMV congenital infection, Ventriculomegaly, Echogenic bowel


ABOUT
ARTICLE & TOPICS
Article category

Browse all articles >

Topics

Browse all articles >

BROWSE ARTICLES
POLICY
FOR CONTRIBUTORS
Editorial Office
4th Floor, 36 Gangnam-daero 132-gil, Gangnam-gu, Seoul 06044, Korea
Tel: +82-2-3445-2382    Fax: +82-2-3445-2440    E-mail: journal@ogscience.org                

Copyright © 2021 by Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology. All rights reserved.

Developed in M2community

Close layer
prev next